When will India’s nuclear deterrent finally come to a halt?

India’s first indigenous nuclear submarine, the BrahMos, has been decommissioned after a year of operation in the Indian Ocean.

The submarine is India’s only nuclear-powered submarine.

Read moreOn July 1, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the submarine would be retired in 2019.

However, the Indian Navy said the decision had been taken after extensive consideration of all stakeholders.

“After extensive consideration, the decision was taken to decommission the Brahmos in 2019,” the Indian navy said in a statement on Sunday.

“We will continue to work towards a comprehensive defence strategy in the near term.”

However a spokesperson for the Defence Ministry told the Hindustan Times that it would be premature to comment on the issue at this stage.

While decommissioning the submarine has been the top priority for India’s defence ministry, there are also a number of other matters that have been discussed with the US.

Last week, a US congressional committee approved the deployment of a new US aircraft carrier and its guided-missile destroyer in India’s territorial waters.

The US has also ordered a third new nuclear-armed submarine.